Sunday, December 13, 2009

Homemade Applesauce

You know you're a child of the 70s if you can complete this line..."pork chops and _____."

I'll never forget watching the Brady Bunch with Peter Brady repeating "pork chops and applesauce" when Alice told him what was for dinner.  It must've been the way he said it and it's stuck with me all these years.

Well, I set about making my own homemade applesauce, which my Mom used to make a lot.  It turned out to be a great treat although I didn't serve it with pork chops.



Homemade Applesauce
(Courtesy of Kelly Oliver)

Ingredients:
6 apples, cored, peeled and chopped (use more or fewer apples if you have them)
cinnamon
sugar

Method:
Place chopped apples in a saucepan and partly cover with water.  Simmer apples until tender.  Use a potato masher to mash the apples to a smooth or chunky consistence (whatever you prefer).  Add cinnamon and sugar to taste.  Applesauce should keep in the refrigerator for at least a week.

And yes, making applesauce is really that easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment