Saturday, January 29, 2011

My New Kitchen Partner Makes Hummus

Hummus

Just looking at this picture makes me hungry for hummus. I love this stuff.

Chris surprised me with a new toy - a food processor - for Christmas. I had been playing with the idea of getting one for a few years now, but living in a small space makes me really think before buying something. That said, Chris figured out how to make our space issue work so that this new Kitchen Aid would fit. Awesome!

I've been happily working through recipes requiring a food processor, and since I had never had the proper equipment to make hummus before, I had to try. The hummus turned out wonderfully, and the food processor made it happen with ease. I liked this hummus recipe, although next time I'm going to try it without the parsley just for simplicity's sake (the parsley tasted just fine in the hummus).

This is a great recipe for any Super Bowl parties next weekend since it makes a lot (3 cups worth)! Go Steelers!


Hummus Bi Tahini
(Courtesy of Elisabeth Rozin, "Ethnic Cuisine: How to Create the Authentic Flavors of 30 International Cuisines")


Ingredients:
2 to 2 1/2 cups cooked chick peas (reserve cooking liquid), or 20-ounce can chick peas (reserve liquid)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
5 cloves garlic
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
1/4 tsp. salt
dash freshly ground black pepper
1 T. olive oil
pita bread, for serving



Method:
Drain chick peas, reserving liquid. Puree in blender or food processor with lemon juice, garlic, and parsley. If more liquid is needed to blend properly, use some of the reserved chick pea liquid. (I didn't need much.)

Place pureed mixture in a serving bowl and stir in tahini, salt and pepper.  Mix to blend thoroughly.

Just before serving, pour olive oil on top of the hummus. This can be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated. Serve with pita bread.

Makes 3 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment