Sunday, November 8, 2009

Quick Weeknight Meal: Broiled Fish with Citrus and Herbs



I got to wander into Whole Foods this past weekend, which was quite a treat. I came out with two bags of groceries including green beans and a white fish I hadn't tried before: turbot. Whole Foods even gave me some inspiration for a way to prepare this delicious white, flaky fish. I used the Whole Foods iPhone app and found this gem. This is a great recipe that only takes a few ingredients and is super-simple to make. Try it and see if you like it too.

Broiled Fish with Citrus and Herbs
(Courtesy of Whole Foods)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 minced shallot (I subbed in red onion here, which worked well.)
1/4 t. dried tarragon
4-6 oz. mild fish fillet(s) such as sole, tilapia or arctic char (I used turbot.)
1/2 t. extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper, to taste
3 chopped Kalamata olives (optional)

Method:
In a small saucepan, combine orange juice, shallot and tarragon. Simmer until thickened, 15-20 minutes; cover and set aside.

Heat broiler. Sprinkle both sides of the fish with oil, salt and pepper. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil 5 to 6 inches from heat, just until fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork, about 5 minutes per half inch of thickness.

When fish is done, transfer fillet to serving plate, spoon sauce on top and sprinkle with olives.

I served freshly steamed green beans on the side, and you could also add rice as another side dish to soak up the extra orange sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment