Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A hiatus from chicken...

I guess it can be easy to fall into a groove of using the same main ingredient. I didn't realize I had done that until my husband said he didn't want to eat chicken for at least two weeks.

So my chicken hiatus sent me scurrying back to my cookbooks. This was going to be a challenge for sure.

Oh, if I only had a grill! I tend not to make steak or burgers very much because of that reason, and besides, if I want either of those, so many restaurants in Arlington do a much better job.

So what would I make? I decided on something with shrimp -- Jambalaya with Shrimp and Ham to be exact. I had made this awhile ago, and thankfully, it was rather simple to prepare and tasted delicious too.

That would take care of one meal. Back to the cookbooks...

Jambalaya with Shrimp and Ham
(Courtesy of Ellie Krieger)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more, to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more, to taste
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
6 ounces diced, smoked ham
2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can no-salt added diced tomatoes
1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
Hot pepper sauce

Directions:
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over a medium heat. Add the onion, peppers and garlic and saute until they begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Mix in the next 11 ingredients, salt through the diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil.

Stir in the rice, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until rice is done and most of the liquid is absorbed.

Add the shrimp and cook, covered, for 5 minutes more, or until shrimp is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with hot pepper sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment