Sunday, September 27, 2009

Breakfast in a Pinch



Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, probably because a cup of coffee (or two) accompanies anything I eat for that meal. It can be hard to be creative for breakfast, especially if we want to eat protein rather than just carbs. So on Saturday, after a week of eating fried eggs and eggs over easy, I decided to make a low-carb crustless quiche. That's easy enough, except that when I looked over the available ingredients in my fridge, I was missing some key elements (spinach, chorizo, and cream) needed for the recipe I usually make. And even though we're close to the neighborhood Whole Foods, I really didn't want to leave the house. So I took a risk and made some substitutions (like subbing skim milk for cream). Thankfully, when my husband said, "This is the best quiche you've ever made," and took a bite myself, I realized that the risk paid off. Here's the recipe for you to enjoy, especially if you're in a pinch.

Crustless Quiche
(Courtesy of Kelly Oliver)

Ingredients:
8 eggs
1/2 cup cream or skim milk
2 Sweet Italian turkey sausage links
1 cup shredded monterey jack or cheddar, or a combination of those
1/4 cup roasted red peppers (I used jarred red peppers to save time.)
2 or 3 teaspoons jarred salsa (optional)
1 teaspoon minced onion
crushed pepper, to taste

Method:
Preheat over to 400 degrees.

Beat eggs in large bowl, add cream (or milk).

Remove casings from Italian turkey sausage, crumble, and saute until browned.

To the egg mixture, add cheese, red peppers, minced onion, pepper, salsa, and turkey sausage.

Use a rectangular baking dish or a deep dish pie pan coated with cooking spray. Add egg mixture to the pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until center is set. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.

If desired, top with an extra teaspoon of salsa as a garnish.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! That sounds wonderful. Unfortunately my family doesn't eat eggs b/c of food allergies. I might use it sometime when I have company coming, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made a quiche before but I plan on trying this recipe soon. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete