Friday, September 25, 2009

Making Granola


One of my favorite recipes is for "Nutty Granola" from Ellie Krieger, who offers a lot of food inspiration. I particularly like this recipe because I know what ingredients are going into my granola, and it's really simple to make. I often add this to my vanilla yogurt along with some fresh blueberries for breakfast or for a snack. My friend Amy came over the other night to make a fresh batch.

Nutty Granola
(Courtesy of Ellie Krieger, "The Food You Crave")

Ingredients:
Cooking spray
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Method:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine all ingredients, mixing well to coat everything with the maple syrup. Spread on baking sheet and bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for about 2 weeks. (Note: I haven't stored mine in the refrigerator and it tastes just fine.)

My friend Amy making granola.

1 comment: